Mother’s Day Fun in the E.R.

So, I mentioned yesterday that Baby J had a bit of a cold, a cold that kept me home from the afternoon’s Confirmation festivities.  Well, by bedtime, her cold had gotten worse.  I put her to bed as usual, and she slept for about 15 minues, but then she woke up, and her breathing steadily got worse.  She was wheezing pretty hard, and giving the seal-barky cough that is associated with croup.

Ever since Baby J was small, every time she’s had a cold, it’s gone to her lungs, and she’s needed to be on bronchio-dilating medicine inhaled via a nebulizer.  We don’t own our own nebulizer (yet), and while I knew someone from whom I could borrow one, the croupy cough scared me.  And, her wheezing was the worst I had ever heard it, even after spending 15 minutes with JJ in the bathroom with the hot water running full blast, steaming up the room.  So, after a phone call to the nurse-on-call at our pediatrician’s phone number, off to the E.R. we went.

This makes my 5th trip to our local E.R. since fall of 2005.  Luckily, it’s a nice E.R., and by the fifth trip, you start to understand how things work in an E.R.  I hardly even had to fill out any paperwork, as all our information was current on file!  I’ve even had the same doctor almost every time I’ve been there.  He remembers me now – is this a good thing?  😉   Last night was the busiest night I’ve ever seen in this E.R.  I asked the nurse about it, and she said that holidays are always busy for some reason.

So, despite the large amount of people there, we were shown into a private room.  They have about 5-6 private rooms, and then they have a larger, communal room with another 5-6 beds in it.  After being there the number of times that I have, it seems that the smaller rooms are for things that might be contagious or are generally more serious (such as the cases that an ambulance would bring in), and the communal room is for other issues, such as people needing stitches, broken bones, things like that.  I got put into the communal room when I had my pinched nerve almost 3 years ago (if I remember correctly; that was some serious pain!)  What struck me last night was how high energy being in an E.R. is.  Obviously, I was worked up with worry over my baby, but there’s just a lot of action and a lot of commotion in the E.R.  Some woman made a dramatic entrance at one point while I was there, too, and from my vantage point, I got to see a bit of it.  An E.R. is a very lively place, although nothing like portrayals on TV.

We left for the E.R. around 8:30 last night, and we got home around 10:45, so it was a pretty fast trip for an E.R. visit.  Baby J fell asleep on the way home, and I slept in the twin bed in her room last night so that she wouldn’t have to cry too much when she woke up, as croupy babies are supposed to cry as little as possible.  She woke up around 2am, I gave her another dose of Tylenol, she ate and fell right back asleep, waking up again at 7am.  I took her into my bed to feed her then, and she fell back asleep again (Thank you, God!) until 9am, when the whole family started to get up.  (Remember, our Monday mornings are the rest of the world’s Saturday mornings.)  She had a fever again at 9am, and I gave her more Tylenol, but when I took her temperature about half an hour ago, it was normal.  So hopefully her fever has broken.

I talked to my mother this morning, relating to her the events of the previous night.  She said, “It sounds like you spent your Mother’s Day mothering your child.”  And, really, what better way IS there to spend Mother’s Day except taking care of your children?  I’m just glad my baby is going to be okay.

Yeah, she’s going to be okay.  She’s been scooting around on the floor around my feet as I’ve typed this, pushing up on her hands and knees, rocking back and forth, rolling around, making noises, and just generally being a cute lil’ baby.  Thank God for my girls!

By the way, the Physician Assistant that Baby J and I first saw was young – about my age.  What does this say about MY age that doctors that I consider “young” are really MY AGE?!?  Hmm…