birthday party, anxiety, the sniffles and school

We had a small birthday party for Baby J yesterday.  We invited some of our dear friends from church over to our home to celebrate with us, as our families are 2000 miles away.  The day before the party, I was given the best party gift of all: a friend from church, whose daughter is 3 days older than Baby J, gave me the leftover food from her daughter’s birthday party.  They had done a “make your own deli sandwich” meal, so she gave me a HUGE basket full of various kinds of breads and rolls, lots of sliced roast beef and ham, sliced cheese, two big bags of lettuce, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, mustard, and mayo.  I was planning to make egg bakes for the Sunday Brunch lunch, but this worked much better.  It freed me up Saturday night to clean my house rather than to prep food, and I’m still enjoying my de-cluttered house today!

To supplement the sandwiches, I made broccoli salad, taffy apple salad, and a peach jello with real peaches and tiny raisin grapes.  Well, I didn’t actually make it — my friends at the party helped me out in the kitchen before the party by making the salads with me, which was more fun than cooking alone.  For J’s cake, I bought a small, decorated cake from Safeway.  It was an 9 inch round, vanilla with raspberry filling, vanilla buttercream frosting, decorated with colored frosting balloons and confetti and said “Happy 1st Birthday J______”  I know that I could have made a cake myself, but I had gotten a Safeway cake for Lyd’s 1st birthday, too (at that time, Safeway gave away 1st birthday cakes for free!), and I appreciated the convenience of others making a much cuter cake than I could in a fraction of the time that it would take me.  For being a store-bought cake, it was really quite delicious, and since I only bought a small cake and cut it into small pieces, the adults could partake of the traditional eating of the birthday cake without having to devour a huge piece.  Everyone appreciated that.  Little one year old J smushed cake all over her face in fine style, and we got the requisite cute pictures.

After the party, since there was still more food left over than my family could possibly eat, I gave the rest of the hand-me-down food away to people at the party.  It was good to see all that food leave my house.  I can only eat deli sandwiches for so long until I get sick of them.

After the party, unbeknownst to JJ and I, Lyd found the last fifth of J’s birthday cake – and ate all the frosting off of it!  She was rather high on sugar the rest of the evening.  She wasn’t particularly bouncing off the walls, but she sure couldn’t focus on anything we said to her.  Since we hadn’t specifically told her “Don’t eat the frosting off the cake,” I didn’t feel right actively punishing her.  But, she and I did agree that she didn’t think before she chose to eat all that frosting, so her consequence was no dessert in her lunchbox today.  That particular consequence was a pretty big deal for her!  JJ and I laughed when we heard her say, “I didn’t eat ALL the frosting!”  Technically, she was right; there was still a few flecks of frosting left here and there.  Well, I guess every kid has to eat a boatload of frosting at SOME point in their childhood, right?

So, now the party is over.  I’m pretty tired.  This afternoon I was playing a few board games with Lyd when she got home from school when all of a sudden I was hit with a tidal wave of exhaustion.  It was so extreme that I had to lie down on the couch for a while.  I didn’t actually sleep, but I did doze a bit, and it helped.  I can’t remember the last time I’ve rested on the couch like that.  It probably was when J was a newborn.


I’ve been noticing my anxiety come back a bit over the past few days.  It probably didn’t help that I didn’t take my vitamins hardly at all this weekend, but I remedied that today.  I decided to re-start taking the Ashwaganda again, as that helps counter the anxiety, too.  Thankfully, my anxiety is not as bad as it has been in the past.  I guess it’s a reminder that I really do need to focus on getting to bed.  And on taking my vitamins.

It probably hasn’t helped that I’ve been getting up at least half an hour earlier than usual for at least the past week.  I honestly don’t remember when this started, but it was sometime in the last month — Curious J is up for the day between 6:30 and 6:45 a.m.  This is a very big change for me, as I have become a non-morning person over the last 5 years.  I used to do mornings; before Lyd was born I taught school, and I was out of the house no later than 7:30 every morning.  But once Lyd arrived, our family just gradually adjusted to starting our mornings between 7:30 and 8:00, sometimes even later.  Lyd was always a good napper no matter what, so she just went to bed around 8 or 8:30 at night, and woke up about 12 hours later.  If Lyd did wake up on the early side, she would just come into our bed and snuggle with us for a little while.  But Baby J is UP no later than 6:45 and she does NOT do snuggling.  So, JJ and I get up.

There are nice things about getting up in the morning, as the sun is just starting to peek over the East Bay hills.  It’s nice to have an earlier start to the day, and it’s nice to put the baby down for her morning nap before 9am.  It’s nice to be showered and dressed and realize that you still have a good chunk of morning left to actually attempt to accomplish something.  BUT, regardless, I am not used to getting up that early.  I will get used to it, however, and I know in the long run it will be a good thing.  JJ and I certainly have tried to be earlier-morning people many times over the past 2-3 years, but it’s never worked for long.  However, this kid is here to stay, so this time it might actually work.  🙂


JJ, after all of his traveling and time-zone changes, is finally getting sick.  He’s still got more business trips planned over the next three weekends (Hymnal Supplement Introduction workshops), so there’s more traveling in store for him, sick or not.  Plus his final paper for his Master’s class is due in a matter of days, so there’s little rest in store for him.  I hope he doesn’t get too sick.  I’ll be glad when all of these out-of-the-ordinary activities are behind him.  I’m sure he will, too.

My runny nose and slightly junky cough continue to linger.  I AM getting better, but it’s so slow.  Little J has a stuffy, drippy nose, too, but it hasn’t (yet) turned into bronchiolitis — thank God.  For about the last week now, she’s only woken up one time at night.  Thank God again!  I think I even may have figured out the key to getting her to take two naps a day, which she really does need.  I hope I can keep it going this week.  I think that would make a big, big difference for me.


Lyd came home from school today in tears.  “I want to stay at school all afternoon!” she said.  She so loves school.  In fact, last week Lyd provided her classroom newsletter’s Quote of the Week: “I don’t like the weekend, because there’s no school!”  Yup.  That sounds like my girl.


2 thoughts on “birthday party, anxiety, the sniffles and school

  1. Glad to hear you had a nice party! 🙂
    Hope your family is all feeling better soon.
    Christian feels the same way about school. He would like to go all day everyday and gets quite frustrated with me over the weekend when I just won’t take him! 😉

  2. Ha! I thought I was the only one who used to be a morning person before the arrival of baby. Thankfully, LBG complies and usually sleeps until 7.

Comments are closed.