a quiet Thanksgiving

We have Thanksgiving worship on Wednesday evenings, so on Thanksgiving morning, we all slept in.  (Translation: JJ and I only got up when we were forced to by the toddler crying “Momma!  Momma!” from her crib, and the six year old climbing into bed between us and saying, “I’m hungry.”)  JJ made waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausages for breakfast while keeping tabs on the Packers/Lions football game.  Meanwhile I prepped the still-somewhat-frozen 21.5 pound turkey to go into the oven.  I figured that since it was still a bit frozen I had better put it in early to give it plenty of time to get done.  As it turned out, it must not have been as frozen as I had thought, because it was done by 2 pm!  We nibbled on it all afternoon. 🙂

After breakfast, we all lazed around, as JJ continued to excitedly watch the Packers win over the Lions.  I headed upstairs to take a shower, but remembered that I first had to clean it our, because it had gotten full of bits of broken tar pieces as well as other debris over the past three days thanks to the new roof that was put on.  I ended up also cleaning out the vent above the shower, as lots of debris was stuck in there, hanging precariously.  To do this job thoroughly took almost an hour, but it needed to be done, and once I got started, it was fairly easy to keep going.  I finally got my shower taken around 11:30 a.m.

After that, it was downstairs to decide what order to prepare the Thanksgiving dishes.  I did the sweet potato souffle first, then the cranberries, then peeled 5 pounds of potatoes and put them in water, and finally got the green beans ready.  Since it was just going to be the four of us and one other person, that’s all I made.  I don’t do stuffing, and I don’t do tons of sides (because I’m the only cook!)  However, we still had plenty of food.

The girls finally got dressed in mid-afternoon; Curious J didn’t get out of her pajamas until she woke up from her nap!  While she was napping, JJ took Lyd outside to ride their bikes in the parking lot, as it was a beautiful day.  When Curious J woke up, I dressed her and took her outside to join them.  JJ held her and rode around with her; apparently J was a little trepidatious at first, but then ended up really liking it.

Our one guest arrived around 5:00 with two homemade pies in hand, and I had everything just about ready.  Well, everything except for the sweet potatoes.  I make this dish practically every year, and I know that it takes longer to bake than the recipe says, but somehow I always forget how much longer it takes.  So, we started eating before the sweet potatoes were ready.  However, that was probably good because we might have filled up on those first before eating all the other stuff – it’s such a delicious dish!

Afterwards, stuffed and content, my parents called to wish us a happy Thanksgiving, and our guest called his family on his cell phone and chatted for a while.  After everyone got their calls finished, we ate pieces of pumpkin pie as well as pecan pie that our guest had made, and then we got the girls into their pajamas and settled them with blankets and pillows in front of the TV to watch (yet again) “The Sound of Music” at Lyd’s request.  While the girls did that, we grown-ups played the card game Guillotine, that was given to me by friends of ours.  They taught me the game when they visited us last summer, and I thought it was a hoot, so JJ and our guest familiarized themselves with the game while I was finishing supper.  Once we caught on to the strategy of the game, it became really fun.  By the third round, we were getting into the spirit of the game, and even getting a bit raucous.  🙂  It was fun, and I’m sure we’ll be playing it again in the future.

We took a break from the game to put the girls to bed around 9:30, and when we finally finished playing cards around 10:30, our guest kindly stuck around a little longer and dried dishes for me, as I hadn’t done them earlier.  That was much appreciated; it’s no fun to face a giant pile of dishes all by yourself.

It was a quiet Thanksgiving, but it was nice.  The food all turned out well, and it was fun to do something completely different, like play a game.  Of course, it would be nice to be around family on a holiday, but it’s also nice (especially for JJ) to have a truly relaxing day.  We definitely had that kind of a Thanksgiving.