a daughter’s acts of love

This past Wednesday evening, as I lay on the couch suffering from the Plague, barely able to lift up my head without the room spinning, and having not consumed anything all day except for small sips of water and Pedialyte and small nibbles on saltine crackers, I found myself on solo-mommy duty.  Being a Wednesday evening in Lent, there was a midweek Lenten service that night.  And that night happened to be my husband’s night to preach in San Jose, per our local Lutheran’s pastors’ Lenten rotation.  So, JJ had no choice but to leave me alone with the girls and drive 45 minutes south to preach for a 5pm and a 7pm service.  (If you’d like to watch video of this very sermon my husband preached in San Jose, click here, and then click on the link in the first paragraph of the post.)

In my ill haze, I wondered how this solo-parenting-while-ill was going to work out.  I was too tired to worry about it, but I weakly prayed it would be okay.  Thankfully, God heard and answered my prayer, and everything worked out just fine.  This was due in LARGE part to the wonderful efforts of my lovely six year old daughter, Lydia.

Lydia, bless her soul, was SO helpful.  Every half an hour or so, Lydia would say to me, “Momma, can I get you anything?”  She was calm, helpful, didn’t pick any fights with her sister, and was in fact extraordinarily helpful and solicitous to her sister.  It helped that I had the movie “The Sound of Music” on, as all three of us girls like that movie.  But, still, Lydia was so helpful and so kind and so … grown-up!  I was incredibly proud of her.

She even assisted her little sister with supper without me having to ask twice.  Thankfully, I had some leftovers in the fridge that I managed to heat up for the girls’ supper.  (I didn’t eat, and JJ was – obviously – gone.)  The girls sat together at the table, and while it was not either of their favorite meal, Lydia ate hers without complaining, and did her best to get some bites into her little sister.  Little sister was rather resistant to eating, (and I unfortunately learned why a few hours later, when that supper came back up again.  Seems like her intestinal systems were not quite recovered from her own bout of the Plague), but at the time Lydia and I combined our efforts to help the little one eat.

I think it helped that Lydia had recently been ill with the same stomach flu, and during her illness, she had told me more than once how grateful she was to me for being there and for taking care of her.  I believe she remembered that feeling and tried to give that same kind of love and care to me.

Lydia has always had a deep, sensitive heart, and it filled my mommy-heart to overflowing to see my beautiful daughter’s sensitive heart bloom into acts of love when given the opportunity.  She’s going to be an amazing woman when she grows up.