I originally found this recipe here. When I recently made this for supper, it was such a hit that after the rest of the family had eaten what they wanted, Lyd finished off the entire bowl herself. That NEVER happens, which prompted me to teach her the new phrase “growth spurt.” Now she loves talking about how she’s having a growth spurt. And, wow, she really must be having a growth spurt because she is really getting tall!!
Pasta with Broccoli and Sausage
- 1/2 lb. of pasta (penne or fusilli – I used Trader Joe’s brown rice pasta fusilli)
- 1 lb. Italian sausage links
- 2 C. broccoli, chopped
- 1 C. (1/2 pt.) grape tomatoes, cut in half
- olive oil
- freshly grated romano or parmesan cheese
- Slice the sausage into discs. Brown them in a large skillet, takes about 8 minutes or so. Drain the grease off.
- Slice your grape tomatoes in half and toss them into the hot skillet. They will take about 5 minutes to warm and soften up. Add the sausage.
- Cook your pasta according to the directions.
- You can steam your broccoli, or you can toss your broccoli florets into the boiling water with the pasta. They only need to be in the boiling water a few minutes.
- When pasta (and broccoli) are finished cooking, drain and return it to the pot. Dump the contents of the skillet into the pot along with the pasta. Pour in a bit of olive oil and stir well.
- Serve into bowls, and grate cheese on top.