bits and pieces

Thanksgiving was great.  We had a few people over to our house, and everyone brought something.  I made the turkey, the gravy (obviously), cranberries, sweet potatoes, and a pie.  I made a cherry pie, because I have a thing for cherry pies.  It was A-MAZ-ING.  So good!  JJ, while he likes cherry pie, likes other kinds of pie better, so in the days post-Thanksgiving, he’s been letting me have all the pieces for myself.  I’m down to one piece left.  Oh, it’s been so good!

And, if you top a cherry pie with real whipped cream you made yourself from heavy whipping cream, it’s even better. 😉

———–

I played organ for church today, and had a moment where I thoroughly embarrased myself.  It was time for the second hymn, the pre-sermon hymn.  It was supposed to be hymn 2, “Savior of the Nations, Come.”  However, I got mixed up and played the third hymn instead, hymn 704 from the supplement, “Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending.”  It’s a bouncy new tune in a major key, and I was introducing it so well, when I saw my pastor-husband walking down the center aisle towards me.  He looked at me and gave me the “V” sign, and right away I mentally went, “____!”  He wasn’t giving me a “V” sign, he was saying, “Hymn number two!”  So, I had to ungracefully stop playing, causing a slight chuckle in the congregation, and re-start with the somber, minor-key hymn that the musical people of the congregation were expecting to hear.  It was too bad, because I had practiced a nice introduction to that hymn and had an alternate accompaniment all ready, and I didn’t get to use any of it.  Oh, well.  Nothing like a very public mistake to keep you humble.

—————-

Last week I began reading Lyd the book “Betsy-Tacy” by Maud Hart Lovelace.  Lyd didn’t want me to read it at first, but as the week went on, she’s begun to really enjoy it.  I knew she would.  I read it to her two years ago, but she doesn’t remember it, so I’m glad I’m reading it to her again.

As for me, I’ve begun re-reading the “Anne of Green Gables” series of books.  It’s fun to pick up those old friends and read through them once again.  I’ve taken time over the long weekend to sit on my bed, leave my children unsupervised, and read my books.  Overall, it’s gone quite well.  The girls play well together about 95% of the time, and the other 5% they are clobbering each other.  But, that doesn’t happen too often.  And revisiting those books has been nice.

I’m also reading bits and pieces of Christopher Plummer’s autobiography.  He led quite a colorful life.

I finally watched the movie “Notorious” staring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman this weekend.  I’ve had it out of the library for almost 3 weeks, and I was getting to the point where I wasn’t going to be allowed to renew it anymore.  So, I finally watched it.  What a great old movie!  It made me dig out the biography of Cary Grant that I had on my shelf and page through that again, too.

——————-

So, overall, life is going pretty good.  🙂

Advertisements

One thought on “bits and pieces

  1. I enjoyed reading your post, especially the bit about “Lo He Comes” which is probably my favorite Advent hymn (I would not have objected to hearing it twice!). One note, though: while the tune certainly could be considered “bouncy” compared to the version in CW29, it isn’t new at all: CWS704 actually restores the original tune to which Wesley set his hymn, and which virtually the rest of the Christian world still uses with those words. Great move on the part of the team behind CWS; bit of a head-scratcher for me on the choice that made it into CW.

    Lovely version by an Anglican cathedral choir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjn3fBTvBjY

    (Caveat: Wesley’s theological imprecision is still in the lyrics here, e.g. “once for favoured sinners slain” rather than “once for every sinner slain”… but the music sure is great!)

Comments are closed.